Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Loonacy of Pottery

Pottery is an art form with much potential and possibility for frustration. Things crack or get bumped; glazes are applied too thick or too thin. Another piece in the kiln blows up and the debris rains on your own--or vice versa. This week when I got to the studio, my loon plates were out of the glaze firing. With trepidation, I walked to the shelf and found that they were...just as I had hoped...(and pottery is all about hope!) The paint and glaze worked and nothing foreign was permanently baked in during the firing. And this is the loonacy of pottery. This is what keeps me in clay. For all the pieces that don't meet my inner expectation, there are those that do. And when they do (and even when they don't), I can't wait to create the next hope filled piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment