Monday, June 30, 2014

Beginner's Mind


In mindfulness practice there is a concept called 'beginner's mind'. The premise is that when the mind is striving to be present in the given moment, there is much that creeps in to distract. Beginner's mind offers an opportunity to start fresh with the next breath--the next moment. I find myself today starting anew on these pages--beginning again in this season of moments. A sunrise is an oft used metaphor for new beginnings. Last week I had the opportunity to experience this beautiful sunrise over Harris Creek near St. Michael's Maryland. While they often occur too early for my taste, there is a humble magnificence that serves to remind me that no matter what was happening in the last moment, I can choose in this one to be(gin) again.

No comments:

Post a Comment